Sunday, September 5, 2010

Blog Challenge: Favorite Quote

Okay, okay now I am excited. I am quite the quote girl and have a few (okay maybe a hundred or so) that I LOVE. There are however, three that I constantly remind myself of and apply to my daily life. Each one of these came about at different points in my life, but I can remember exactly when they did and why they meant so much to me.
They are:
-I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me (technically a bible verse but hey all the same) :
This particular verse struck home when I was in college. I was having a really rough time medically (my thyroid had been removed but was not regulated) and also socially. Because of my medical issues I had missed a year of school, just returned to KU after missing that year and was living in dorm as a 20 year old with primarily all freshman. Although I loved my roommate the rest of the girls on my floor  (for the most part) were AWFUL. It was one of those moments when I felt I was in this world all alone with nobody to call my friend. I struggled with this for quite some time until one day for some unknown reason  I was sitting in English class and it clicked.  For no apparent reason, I realized that I could do this. I could get decent grades, finish college and be successful! I took this verse with me everywhere I went. Each day I woke up I recited it to myself. Anytime I got frustrated it was this verse that I turned to. Basically it reminded me that I was indeed NOT in this world alone and that no matter how big or small the problem it is not up to me alone to solve it. He is there to help, if we just take the time to breathe and realize this.

-"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment" -Ralph Waldo Emerson
Ironically enough this verse also came to me while I was sitting in English class. At the highschool I graduated from each Senior was allowed to pick out a quote to put in the index of the yearbook along with all of their activiites. I was searching through some papers when I stumbled across this one. As a person who has never been too concerned about impressing others, I really liked this quote. To this day, this quote is on every single email I send out from work. Throughout the years this quote has reminded me to not let others actions take a negative effect on me. It also reminds me to not give up, to stand strong and to believe in what I think is right.

-" Let me try a little harder to be all that I can be"
I came across this quote on a very cute little picture in a home decorating store in my home town. I saw it and just had to have it. I purchased it knowing that it would be making a direct trip to my desk at work and that is where it has remained since. Everyday I am there, I look at this and am reminded to never give up, never settle for "status quo" and to fight until there is no fight left.  It constantly reminds me that although it is easy to settle into the daily grind, there is more to my work than just the papers that overwhelm me. Behind each sheet of paper that crosses my desk is a human who is dependent on me to care for them.

Last but not least;

-Treat Others the Way You Want to be Treated.
If I could remember when this was instilled in me I would love it, however, I have no idea. I remember my mom telling me this throughout my life and thinking hey that is a pretty clever idea. There were/are times in my life where I think to myself, everybody knows this saying so WHY do people choose to treat others so poorly? Anytime I get into a situation where hatred tries to take over, I remind myself of this saying and try my best to "kill them with kindness".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home