Thursday, June 2, 2011

Oh My Goodness, Time Sure Does Fly!

On December 29th I decided I had had enough of being fat. I had always said that I wanted to be the Mom who would hop on her bike with her kiddos, go swimming at the pool and not be ashamed of her looks, etc. etc. After having Nora I knew I was not that Mom, but at the time I thought my life was too crazy to take care of myself. I was scraping to get by and failed to realize that if only I would have taken care of myself first, then I would be able to do a better job of taking care of everybody else. Deep in the back of my head I knew this, but I wasnt applying the thought. I was tired and stressed out. Unfortunately stress=eat more food for me. It wasnt long before suddenly I was gaining weight and doing nothing about it.

Today, I just realized  that I have been on this weight loss journey for SIX months! This is the second time in my life where I have successfully lost a significant amount of weight. Last time I was fairly young, childless, and thought that if I could just lose the weight (gained from an inactive thyroid) then it would just stay off. To say I was naive would be an understatement! I stayed "skinny" for a few years and then I got pregnant.
Woah Nelly was I ever sooo wrong. Not only did I gain weight, I gained 60 + pounds. After Nora's birth but before becoming pregnant with Reese, I never got anywhere near my old weight. I knew I needed to do something, but instead I didnt. Deep down I knew how much I hated the lack of food I was able to consume the last time I "dieted". I didnt want to have to go back to letting go of my "crutch". What I didnt consider was the fact that this time around I was a nursing mom and therefore was alloted more "points". Regardless of more or less points I decided that day that it was time and that now was as good of a time as any.

Looking back, I think its pretty funny how so many times before I had "wanted to lose weight" and tried a couple of times but within days said to hell with it. This time, I set my mind to it and there was no looking back.  Six months later, I have lost 37 lbs. and weigh 145 pounds (if you count my weight since having Reese I have lost roughly 65) I would still like to lose weight (somewhere around 10 pounds would be nice) but am following what my body wants. I can honestly say that I have been successful with actually learning the "lifestyle' of Weight Watchers. I have realized, that like any other addiction once the weight is gone, I am never going to stay at a healthy weight unless I live this new lifestyle day after day after day.

I hope that like any other "addict" this is my new life. That food will never consume me again and that I can remain that Mama who rides bikes with her kids, goes swimming at the pool without being ashamed of her body and who can keep up without being out of breath. Afterall, I do want to spend many, many more years with my sweet girls setting a good example to them that life does not have to revolve around food... even though it is darn good stuff!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home