Saturday, September 25, 2010

Doctors, Doctors, Doctors...

Yesterday Nora and I had a fun-filled morning spent at the doctors. She at the pediatrician and I at the OB/GYN. Both were in eventful in that she had to get shots (BOO) and I had to be checked for progress on having this baby.
At Nora's appointment we finally found out how big she really is. I knew she was a bit on the shrimpy side, but we received confirmation yesterday. At 26 months here are her stats:
-Height: 34 1/4 inches (52%)
-Weight: 23 lbs 10 oz  (10 %)
- Head: 49 cm (89%) Daddy says she has such a big noggin to hold that smart brain of hers, I say she is just trying to fulfil her Miller genes in some way!! These stats also confimed my problem with finding clothes that fit her. THANK GOODNESS for Carter's leggings or we would really be hurting this Fall!

On another note, my appointment was filled with decisions to contemplate. The problem lies in the fact that I have yet again tested positive for Strep B. Strep B is a NASTY illness that some adults just have but does not cause them any problems. However it can be passed on to the newborn baby during labor and cause serious complications such as Menigitis, pnemonia, hearing loss, and mental retardation. To prevent this antibiotics are given throughout labor 2 hours a part. If the mother is given three rounds of antibiotics the chances of the baby contracting this illness is very slim. Problem is that I had Nora start to finish in less than 3 hours, so although we were very fortunate she was a happy healthy baby, we only got one round of antibiotic.  Because of this, my doctor is concerned that the same thing will happen this time and has given me some pretty scary statistics to support her reasoning for wanting to induce. Naturally I am a bit opposed to this idea (remember Nora was a less than 3 hour, drug free, minimal pain, nearly water birthed, no tearing labor) and somewhat scared of the idea. I left the office yesterday telling her that I thought I would just go the au natural route, however, after talking to several people, I am beginning to feel as though guilt might just eat me alive if for some reason I chose no induction and my baby had special needs. Scary thing is that if I choose to induce this baby could be here as soon as OCTOBER 4th. THAT IS 10 DAYS AWAY PEOPLE!!! What to do, what to do?!?! This is the question that is taking away my sleep! Oh and my messy house, pile of work to be completed, and list of things to finish for the baby BEFORE these 10 days are up!


Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home