Saturday, December 10, 2011

The Sweet Little Words of my Three Year Old

Everyday I struggle with the amount of impatience I have towards my children. I try my best to keep calm, not rush and to remain patient, but honestly, it is hard. I am a go, go, go girl and I HATE being late. Sometimes these characteristics don't pair with a preschooler who is in no hurry and is calmly taking her time taking in every.single. thing around her. These are the instances that tend to make me lose my cool. Sometimes I yell, and then I feel stupid for doing so. Then I start questioning my parenting abilities and rather or not I am raising well-rounded, kind and considerate children. I wonder this constantly, and rarely do I know for certain.
However, every once in a while I am rewarded for what I do right, and my heart nearly melts. This happened the other day when I nearly sliced the tip of my middle finger off with a cardboard box. We were leaving Costco and I was loading the car. The girls were already in the car when it happened. My finger was bleeding EVERYWHERE and it hurt bad. I told Nora that my finger had an ouchy and that I needed her to buckle up because my finger was bleeding everywhere. She replied, "Oh no, we're going to have to go to the hospital". I said, "no, we don't need to go the hospital, I just need a bandaid'.  We then proceeded down the road, when out of nowhere from the backseat of my car Nora said, "Mama, I know your finger hurts, but as soon as we get home, I will get you a band-aid".
It was at this moment that my questioning of my parenting ability was confirmed. Although I may SUCK at keeping my cool at times, I have indeed been successful in teaching my daughter compassion towards others. I sure hope this trait is something she NEVER outgrows.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home